Monday, October 20, 2008

I am Fall's Child

I love fall. It is my favorite season in Colorado and Massachusetts. And now I can add Oxford to the list. The trees are dropping their leaves, most of which are bigger than my hand. Carpets of an earthy orange line every gutter and cushion every corner. I made sure to drag my feet through them this morning on my way to tutorial. The ivy that creeps over the majority of the buildings here is also turning. 
I think the colors here, especially the warmer ones, are more vibrant. Maybe it is because they are in constant contrast to the greyer skies. I am just in love with the brick reds with the slow spreading green moss contrasting, with the million different shades of clouds an overcast sky can have, with the grass that even now is a truer green than Colorado grass in summer and with the rosy apples I eat everyday. 
In fact, I am going to go to the grocery store today and pick up some apple juice so I can make apple cider for the house. It is a perfect day for it- the wind is blowing and a slight drizzle just started falling. If only our house had a fireplace we could actually make a fire in. How fantastic does that sound? A mug of apple cider in one hand, a book in the other, a fire in front of you, a blanket wrapped around you and God's creation whirling outside your window in the most magnificently costumed show. 

No comments: