Thursday, October 9, 2008

Endless Possibilities

Oxford is alive and bustling with the students who have trickled in over the weekend. It came as a surprise on Wednesday when I was walking down the street and suddenly realized that no, it wasn't a weekend shopping day for tourists, but merely an afternoon in a University town of no meagre size. I still am finding it hard to believe that I get to be a part of this; I am an Oxford student. Today was Fresher's Fair, an amalgamation of every possible activity the university has to offer crammed into one building. Each booth was encroaching upon the others' space and yet doing a good job of ignoring the fact. I was verbally accosted a few times by overly enthusiastic members and discovered just how bad I am at asking the kind of questions that provide pertinent information. I think I signed myself up for an overwhelming amount of clubs, but only a few with the intent of actually attending. One of them was a climbing club I might try and boulder with on occasion. One free coffee, free pizza, free mug and a tree's worth of paper flyers later, I sat at my desk to begin work for my tutorials. 
Tutorials are beginning next week and I am excited. My C.S. Lewis tutorial sounds difficult, but I love the fact that it is merely an excuse for me to read his works and the works that influenced him. Maybe someday someone will be reading him because he influenced my writing. Which brings me to my other tutorial, creative writing. My tutor said I will be writing around 1000 words a week with a finished story as my final project. I already have an idea in mind and just hope it will be possible to put onto paper. I think I will be spending a lot of time in a coffee shop, pen and notebook in hand with Lewis waiting on the sidelines to inspire or distract. 
Another distraction I recently discovered is Primark, a very cheap clothes store in our mall. A group of us went yesterday and had a wonderful time being normal girls and college students. I bought two rather similar striped sweaters, accidently, but that should be good for layering. I also bought an awesome pair of black boots. They are pirate boots, tall, slouchy suede, with a leather tied fold at the very top. I also got a hilarious pair of shorter boots in a sort of checkered pattern that I can't wait to wear. It's hard to wear only a few outfits for a month without getting antsy for new ones, so I feel justified in my cheap, new purchases. Although now I'm going to want a new sweater every week. If you want to contribute to the 'dress Lizzie in a British wardrobe' fund, I'll be happy to accept donations. :-)

No comments: