Monday, September 8, 2008

A Fair Weather Day

I was contemplating starting a running tally of how many straight days it rained here. I had to stop at four because turned out to be rather warm and beautiful. 
Our academic semester started today with a slight orientation and a short video on early British history. I love the way classes work here. We get a coffee/tea break automatically every couple of hours or so. The classroom learning was followed by a treasure hunt (of knowledge) through the city. It would have been a nice way to see some of the main sites I had missed lately, but my group was too gung-ho about winning to be leisurely. After a good 2 hours of walking in large circles around the main city center we retired to our program's offices for another tea time. 
When I felt peopled-out enough, which happened easily enough considering the strong personalities I had in my hunting party, I wandered off by myself in search of some groceries. Unfortunately, I was low on cash and only got a few staples. Looks like I'm going again tomorrow after a trip to the ATM. 
Tonight was the St. Giles Fair, which is basically like a mini-street carnival. I took my new camera and tried it out. I got a few good pictures out of the 200-something I took; practice makes perfect so hopefully that ratio will increase. 
Tomorrow is more orientation and classes followed by Stonehenge and other various field trip sights on Thursday. 

(I'm having trouble loading pictures. I'll try again soon!)


No comments: