Thursday, August 28, 2008

Time to Panic . . . I Mean, Pack.

I've been known to be a bit of a psychic. Today I saw my future one week from this very moment; I was restlessly trying to scrunch into a seat too small and not disturb the middle-age man sitting next to me, hoping to fall asleep so I could effectively adjust to the time difference in one fell swoop. 
Every time this, and many other, images that are to befall me in exactly one week popped into my head, my stomach did a flip. It was 15 parts excitement, 5 parts nerves and only 1.667 parts sheer panic. How dumb was I to believe I could work almost up until my departure date? There is still so much to be done!
Needless to say, the shock of finding myself seven days away from a foreign country finally got me moving. I'm currently packing (for real this time) one of my suitcases. Trying on clothes that will have to be warm enough for winter's chills on a hot August night is not my idea of a good time. It does remind me a little of playing dress-up though, and my inner child is smiling. 
I finished Till We Have Faces last night and started on Lilith this morning at work. Apparently the only thing that really does get my procrastinating self moving is a real, solid deadline. Personal goals and vague dates don't do anything. There is nothing so motivating as finding a due date mere days away. 

2 comments:

Emily said...

Way to go Lizzie! I knew you could do it. By the way, I love the "Study? I'm here to find my prince" line. That is clutch. You need to go on ichat or call me so I can tell you my funny story before you leave.

Lucy F. said...

Okay Lizzie!! You crack me up. I just got done reading all of your blog entries and couldn't help but think about the times I too have moved out of the country. When I went to Sweden and then when I moved to Cayman. Yes I too had a mess of stuff everywhere. Although I am an organizer and I had planned all these things out and still didn't have enough time. So I can just imagine what you are going through. GOOD LUCK! Just a hint... If you forget something you think is soooo important don't worry you can buy it in London and think of it as a souvenir. Packing is not easy however a key to that and from all my experiences take 1/4 of what you originally packed. Because believe me YOU WON'T NEED IT!! That is the rule of thumb. I can't tell you how many unuseful crap I packed when I went to Cayman. And here I thought that I was good at packing because I have only moved 5 billion times.

However cous I wish you allot of luck, fun, adventure and remember don't go there to meet a Prince MEET A KING!!! Hello always think BIG!
Love you and I look forward to following you through your journey while I attend classes here in sunny CA.
Best wishes!